Monday, March 25, 2013

Calling All Markets!

As Brooke, Marc, and I were tossing around ideas of what to do today, we had one thing in mind...a real Bolivian market. We found there were several markets that were in the city, and we decided to go to the Ramada Market which was filled with spices, meats, fresh fruits, vegetables, clothing, shoes, cleaning products, and so much more. It seemed like the market went forever.

Being at the market was very eye opening. Around every corner there was a new fruit, new vegetable, or a new spice that I have never seen or smelled. The smells were sometimes overwhelming, but there is definitely a distinct smell to the Bolivian food we have been eating the past few days. I wish we could bottle the smells we have smelled and bring them home to share.

I got to see Brooke and Marc in action while buying local products from sellers. They gave me great tips on finding the right price to pay for specific items. Some people may call it haggling, but I call it a compromise between the buyer and the seller. At the time, I was not ready to put myself out there and find a deal on my own, but I did have a chance later on during the day. I actually got something for 10 Bolivianos less then the asking price! I'd say that is an accomplishment. With that, I have been able to practice my Spanish more and feel more comfortable.

We leave for the clinic in the morning. Hoping we have a great rest of the week and accomplish our
goals! We may be without internet for the next few days, but we will post again as soon as we are able!

Buenas Noches!
Ashley

Moth face

Carne de Soya con Quinoa dinner with Maté de Manzanilla 


"Ocupa bien tu tiempo" (Occupy your time well!)

Ashley in the market getting her bargaining on!

Market goods






Trying sugar cane for the first time

No comments:

Post a Comment